BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
The MVF Recreation and Parks Department manages multiple summer camps that serve Montgomery Village Residents of all ages, all summer long, Monday through Friday. Campers enjoy partaking in arts and crafts, sports and games, have pool time, and the occasional special events such as guest speakers/performers or fieldtrips. The Camp Director will plan and lead, or assist with planning and leading a variety of structured camp activities and oversees the camp operation.
- Supervise participants and ensures that safety precautions are carried out at all times during trips, specialized, recreational and routine activities.
- Oversee curriculum development to include age-appropriate recreational activities such as crafts, games, sports, special events, trips and themes.
- Plan, create, and carry out appropriate program activities including setup and breakdown.
- Works with the camp supervisor to ensure that the camp operation and its policies are in accordance with those of the department and all regulators.
- Coordinates all details of the summer program to ensure satisfactory daily activities are implemented.
- Plans activities in advance to ensure adequate equipment and supplies are available at all times. Maintains various logs and records as assigned and needed by the department and regulators.
- Supervises and evaluates camp staff including: Assistant Directors, Camp Counselors, Junior Camp Counselors and Volunteers where applicable.
- Submits paperwork on time (i.e., timesheets, staff evaluations, etc.). Ensures all participant paperwork is complete and on file at site.
- Communicates with parents and/or guardians of camp participants and provides frontline customer service.
- Mediates conflicts between campers.
- Provides First Aid, CPR\AED according to the level of training and administer or assist with administration of medication according to the level of training.
- Disseminates information on programs to residents and encourages participation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must enjoy working with children and be able to work directly with and plan activities for participants in a variety of settings.
- Ability to provide leadership and inspire enthusiasm.
- Must be responsible, dependable, adaptable, and punctual.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills and leadership qualities.
- Ability to make quick and sound decisions.
- Ability to understand and to convey to others MVF policy and procedures.
- Ability to understand, carry out, and provide written and oral directions; and have the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be able to deal with children, parents/guardians, and other staff in a positive, courteous, tactful, and professional manner.
- Must be safety conscious and committed to providing a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for all participants.
- Must possess ability to perform moderate physical activities such as frequent walking, running, conducting exercises, and related physical activities. Physical activities may require sitting, standing, walking on level and slippery surfaces, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, stooping, squatting, crouching, and grasping.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and/or be a high school graduate or equivalent by June 1, 2022.
- Previous supervisory experience working with children in a group setting.
- Certification in ARC First Aid/CPR/AED or equivalent and medical administration training or ability to complete by no later then one week before first day of summer camp
- General knowledge and ability to lead a variety of sprots and/or camp and recreational games.
- Child Protection Services background check clearance.
- Previous experience working with youth in camp settings preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.