Inspect electrical systems and wiring to avoid potential electrical fires

Share This: 

Faulty wiring is a leading cause of residential fires, with over 30,000 fires involving home electrical systems each year. While these cases are not specifically tied to the age of a home, the older a home is, the greater the chance the wiring is outdated and may need to be inspected by a qualified professional.

When undertaking a major project like a bathroom or kitchen renovation, exposed wires are easy to inspect. But if you’ve never done a renovation, or at least one that opened up your home’s walls, then getting to wiring can be a messier and costlier—but still doable—project.

It may be time to have your electrical system inspected if you notice any of the following warning signs:

  • Dimming or flickering lights
  • Sizzling or buzzing sounds
  • Odor of overheated plastic
  • Plugs that pull out of receptacles easily
  • Warm, discolored or sparking switch plates and outlet covers
  • Circuit breakers trip or fuses blow frequently
  • Two-prong outlets throughout the house
  • No GFI outlets in kitchens, bathrooms or other areas exposed to moisture

Having older wiring doesn’t automatically mean your house is unsafe, but it’s a good idea to have a licensed electrician look it over to determine if any changes are necessary in order to safely handle your current use of electronics and energy consumption. Not having enough power can damage sensitive electronics, adding to more replacement expenses.

If you are planning a major project, or are concerned about older wiring in your home, have a licensed electrician inspect your electrical system and recommend the best options to keep your home and family safe.