BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
The MVF Recreation and Parks Department manages multiple summer camps that serve Montgomery Village Residents of all ages, all summer long, Monday through Friday. Campers enjoy partaking in arts and crafts, sports and games, have pool time, and the occasional special events such as guest speakers/performers or fieldtrips. The Camp Counsellor will plan and lead, or assist with planning and leading a variety of structured camp activities.
- Provide constant supervision of camp program participants.
- Plan, create, and carry out appropriate program activities; assist with program set and breakdown.
- Teach fundamentals of sports, games, and/or crafts to camp program participants
- Ensure a positive, fun, and safe environment for summer camp participants.
- Organize games and activities and perform other activity related tasks as assigned.
- Mediates conflicts between campers.
- Disseminates information on programs to residents and encourages participation.
- Provides First Aid, CPR\AED according to the level of training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must enjoy working with children and be able to work directly with and plan activities for participants in a variety of settings.
- Ability to provide leadership and inspire enthusiasm.
- Must be responsible, dependable, adaptable, and punctual.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills and leadership qualities.
- Ability to make quick and sound decisions.
- Ability to understand and to convey to others MVF policy and procedures.
- Ability to understand, carry out, and provide written and oral directions; and have the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must possess a high level of maturity and be able to deal with children, parents, and other staff in a positive, courteous, tactful, and professional manner.
- Must be safety conscious and committed to providing a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for all participants.
- Must possess ability to perform moderate physical activities such as frequent walking, running, conducting exercises, and related physical activities. Physical activities may require sitting, standing, walking on level and slippery surfaces, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, stooping, squatting, crouching, and grasping.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and/or be a high school graduate or equivalent by June 1, 2022.
- Certification in ARC First Aid/CPR/AED or equivalent.
- Some experience working with children and familiarity with games, sports and/or crafts.
- Child Protection Services background check clearance.
- Previous experience working with youth in camp settings preferred.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.