BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY:
- Directs the daily operation of the Lake Marion Community Center including programming, staffing and public relations; Implements and manages the community center private rental program.
- Plans and implements a comprehensive recreational program for all age groups including workshops, classes, camps and Village-wide special events.
- Assists with Aquatic programs, including managing swim lessons,
- Enforces Foundation policy, center rules and safety practices with staff and participants.
- Schedules the use and set up of the facility by MVF, HOA boards and committees, organizations and private renters.
- Interviews temporary staff and instructors and recommends for hire. Plans and conducts on going training of staff. Evaluates staff and makes recommendations on merit increases, promotions or terminations. Approves time sheets.
- Coordinate’s training of staff in First Aid and CPR. Schedules classes and instructs courses. Coordinate’s record keeping with Red Cross.
- Assists with development of staff training manual and in-service training for summer staff and implementation of the Counselor-in-Training Program.
- Plans and supervises special events including Indoor/Outdoor Flea Markets, Holiday Craft Bazaar, Lake Marion Concerts/Events. Also, assists with planning and implementation of other special events as requested.
- Maintains all facility equipment and supplies ensuring that they are kept in a clean and organized manner. Inventories and orders approved supplies and equipment within budget guidelines.
- Report’s maintenance problems with the facility or grounds to the Facilities Manager in a timely manner.
- Develops public relations materials including press releases, flyers, posters and website information to promote programs. Distributes materials as needed. Researches and prepares information for quarterly recreation inserts.
- Monitors the Lake Marion digital sign to ensure that information is up to date, and requests changes to communications as needed.
- Completes monthly reports, program plans, evaluations and other administrative duties as assigned.
- Assists with the preparation of Department budget, tracks program income and expenses and prepares seasonal reports. Collects program fees and turns in for accounting.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of recreation programming and administration.
- Good knowledge of safety practices.
- Ability to evaluate programs and procedures; to build upon strengths and make adjustments to reduce weaknesses.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong program leadership skills.
- Skills in a wide range of recreational activities including sports and fitness, games, the arts, self directed activities and special events.
- Ability to establish good working relationships with staff, organizational partners, Village residents and the public.
- Management skills sufficient to supervise staff of part time workers and instructors.
- Thorough knowledge at the instructor level of CPR and First Aid.
- Basic knowledge of budgetary process.
- Graduation from college with a Bachelor's Degree in Recreation or a related field. Two years progressively responsible experience in recreation programming and supervision of staff; or any combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Strong computer skills.
- Instructor Certification for First Aid/CPR/AED
- Additional supervisory or recreation programming experience.
- Prior experience in a similar work setting.
- Must complete a background check and CPS (Child Protective Services) background check with no concerns.