Montgomery Village is a planned community with approximately 36,000 residents in Montgomery County, MD. Montgomery Village Foundation offers recreational opportunities from toddlers to senior citizens to include camps, classes, special events and programs which are offered by the Department of Recreation and Parks.
Join our team as the Recreation Program Manager who oversees the Programming Division and therefore the planning, developing and administering of comprehensive recreation programs for Montgomery Village Residents and the general public.
- Supervises four (4) Recreation Specialists who collectively offer programs in the field of: aquatics, camps, classes, private rentals, seniors, special events and sports leagues. Oversees the work of numerous part-time and seasonal employees based on the needs and infrastructure of the department. *
- Oversees the implementation of all programs, classes and special events. Drafts correspondence; responds to residents’ inquiries and requests. *
- Oversees the implementation of the large-scale Village-wide Fourth of July Celebration and Great Pumpkin Race and Fall Festival. *
- Researches recreational trends and implements creative, innovative recreation programs.
- Oversees the execution of the programming strategic priorities, which are outlined in the Recreation and Parks Strategic Plan. *
- Assists Director in preparation and monitoring of annual operating budget, and ensures that programs operate within budget. Prepares yearly expenditure and income plans. Completes a quarterly and annual performance report for the Programming Division. *
- Oversees management of the annual Farmers’ Market. Assists in coordination of market with host site representatives and Maryland Department of Agriculture. Coordinates sponsorship and publicity.
- Oversees the implementation of MVF performance series at the Gordon W. Bowie Pavilion including “KidjAM”, and music series.
- Manages the MVF summer camp and summer club programs. Oversees supervision of daily operations by full-time program staff members. Responds to parent and resident inquiries/concerns. Coordinates licensure with the State of Maryland. *
- Oversees implementation of MVF holiday activities and programs. Plans and oversees the Annual Holiday Tree Lighting and Toys for Tots concert. *
- Serves as staff liaison to the Montgomery Village Community Band. Coordinates practice and concert schedules and negotiates contracts. Procures equipment and supplies. Directs publicity. *
- Directs the department’s marketing efforts including monthly e-newsletter, quarterly recreation inserts. Coordinates with recreation staff. Serves as contact person with MVF Communications Department and creates the quarterly communication plan. Writes articles for Village News, press releases and inserts. *
- Manages programs, classes and events as assigned. *
- Assists with implementing and reporting functions related to program grants.
- Serves as an emergency contact person for facility access, alarm and security issues.
- Solicits bids, develops RFP's; supervises approved contractors and reviews work for completeness.
- Assists with coordination of Foundation's compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) legislation. Assists with development of a long-term access plan, which includes facilities, programs, policies and employment. Works with residents on access issues.
- Oversees use of Community Centers for programs, meetings and private rentals.
- Coordinates with local governments, organizations and other departments on recreation program and certification issues.
- Provides in-service training for staff on variety of issues.
- Directs the work of Department in the absence of Director and Assistant Director of Recreation and Parks.
- Responsible for onboarding and training of staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of recreation administration and program development.
- Considerable knowledge of personnel and budgetary practices.
- Ability to develop and manage large scale special events.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of integrating persons with disabilities into recreation programs.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to independently manage projects.
- Ability to analyze issues and data; interpret policy.
- Ability to provide leadership to full-time and part-time staff, and volunteers.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with staff, residents and local organizations.
*Denotes essential job responsibility
- Bachelor's degree in Recreation Administration or related field
- 5+ years of Recreation Program experience required
- 3+ years of Supervisory experience required
- Or any combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Strong computer skills
- Management experience in community recreation.
- This position requires a successful completion of a criminal records background check prior to employment.